Page - Text
How do I create a text block?
- In the left-hand column, click the 'Aa' button and drag the text block to your blank page.
- Delete 'add your text here' and enter your own text in the text block.
- You can also copy text from Word and paste it into the text block on the page. The formatting will not be copied from Word.
- After this you can format the text.
How do I format text?
- Click the text block.
- In the right-hand column you will see various buttons you can use for formatting text. Select the section of the text you want to format. Use Ctrl+A to select the whole text at once.
- Select a font and a font size in the right-hand column. You can also accentuate a single word, by rendering the text in bold, in italics, by underlining the text, or by changing the font color.
- Check if the entire text fits in the text block! You can enlarge the text block by 'dragging' the edges of the block.
- You can divide the text over multiple columns (at 'columns'). It is useful to place several text blocks below one another. This way, it will be easy to enlarge the title and make the rest of the text smaller, since it is placed in a different block. And it makes it easier to move the title around until you have found the right position for it.
What font size is pleasant to read?
There is a difference between easily reading a text on your screen, and an easy-to-read text on paper. The font size will also depend on the font you have chosen.
Commonly used fonts for magazines are:
• general text: font size 9-10
• subtitles: font size 12
• titles or headers: font size 18- 24
To be on the safe side, you can print your page first, and check whether the font size you have chosen is clearly legible.
This is how you do it.
- Go to your magazine, click ‘preview’,
- next, click the right mouse button and select ‘print’.
Attention: the print quality will be the quality you see on screen, and not the actual printing quality of the magazine. This is because, for technical reasons, Jilster uses a lower resolution for your page in the newsroom.
How can I frame my text?
By using the color block in the left-hand column you can place a color block as a background frame to the text. This will bring out the text even more. For more information, you can read the note for the color block.